Labradoodles are highly intelligent and have the ability to develop keen social skills. They are naturally affectionate and friendly. Early socialization is essential to the well being of Labradoodles. Dogs that are not socialized can live a life of fear and discomfort in a variety of situations. There are a variety of things you can do to socialize your Labradoodle.
- Begin Immediately – As soon as your adorable Labradoodle is placed in your arms socialization begins. He or she will begin getting to know you and everyone else that lives in the household.
- House Awareness – Your Labradoodle will explore your home as soon as he or she walks in the front door. Allow him or her to run throughout the house discovering new things and getting familiar with their new surroundings. Show your pup their bed, kennel, toys and food dishes.
- Introduce Family and Friends – Invite your extended family members and close friends to come meet your new pup. Allow them to hold, play and kiss your pup. This will get your Labradoodle familiar with being around a lot of people and feel loved and safe.
- Introduce other Pets – Many households have more than one pet. Introduce your pup to the other pets in the household one at a time. Allow them to meet in a quiet room just the two of them with you observing. Keep your pup on a leash so that you can guide him or her and teach acceptable behavior around the other pet.
- Meet the Neighbors – Take your pup for a walk around the neighborhood so he or she can get familiar with other dogs and animals in the area. It is also an excellent chance for your pup to get accustomed to being around wildlife such as birds, squirrels and other animals that can be found in your neighborhood on a regular basis.
- Noise – Whether you live in a big city or a secluded farm your pup will need to get use to hearing a variety of noises. At first loud noises and chaotic noises may feel overwhelming to your pup, but as time goes on they will become familiar and it will eventually become part of their daily life.
- Making Friends – Labradoodles love to play and have a playful, energetic personality. Bring your Labradoodle to the local dog park so that he or she can play and socialize with other dogs.
- Frequent Places – If you plan to spend every Sunday reading the newspaper at your local outdoor café with your pup by your side, you will want to begin this tradition immediately. Your pup will have to learn to behave well around other people eating and socializing.
Socializing your Labradoodle is key to him or her feeling calm, comfortable and safe in their environment. Although socializing begins immediately, you will want to introduce one thing at a time. If your pup feels overwhelmed, just pause and revisit the socialization session later. Labradoodles are highly intelligent but they each have their own timing and your patience will be required during their socialization training. Remain calm and soon your Labradoodle pup will become a social butterfly.
Photo credit: Jeff/Flickr