You don’t have to be an expert on dogs to know what the Labradoodle is. The Labradoodle is a cross between a purebred Labrador Retriever and a purebred Poodle. Not only are these dogs incredibly friendly and beautiful, but they are one of the most popular designer dog breeds out there. If you want to learn more about this wonderful breed, consider the following fun facts about Labradoodle dogs:
- The Labradoodle was one of the first designer dogs. Though crossbreed dogs have been in existence for as long as dogs have been around, the intentional breeding of “designer dogs” like the Labradoodle really only started within the last century. The Labradoodle breed is about 50 years old which makes it one of the oldest designer dog breeds.
- Labradoodle dogs are great for allergy sufferers. Though the Labrador Retriever sheds to a moderate degree, the Poodle is often labeled a hypoallergenic dog. Because the Labradoodle inherits half of its genetics from the Poodle, many specimens of this breed have low-shedding coats which are great for allergy sufferers.
- The Labradoodle can live for 15 years or more. Both the Poodle and the Labrador Retriever are very long-living breeds so the average lifespan for the Labradoodle is 12 to 15 years, though it isn’t uncommon for dogs of this breed to live longer.
- Labradoodle dogs come in three different sizes. Although Labrador Retrievers only come in one size, Poodles come in three sizes which means that there are different sizes of Labradoodle depending on the type of Poodle used in the crossing. Standard Labradoodles weigh 45 pounds or more and stand about 22 inches tall. Medium Labradoodles stand between 17 and 21 inches, weighing 25 to 45 pounds at maturity. Miniature Labradoodles stand 14 to 16 inches tall and weigh less than 25 pounds.
- The Labradoodle comes in all kinds of colors. The Labrador Retriever breed comes in three main colors – chocolate brown, gold, and black – but Poodles come in a wide range of colors. Because the Labradoodle is a cross between these two breeds they come in all kinds of colors including chocolate, tan, cream, apricot, gold, brown, black, red, and any combination of these colors.
- Labradoodles make excellent service dogs. Both the Poodle and the Labrador Retriever breeds are very intelligent and highly trainable. This being the case, the Labradoodle is also very smart and trainable. Labradoodles make excellent service dogs for the blind and disabled – they also make great therapy dogs due to their gentle natures and friendly personalities.
- The Labradoodle is a very people-oriented breed. Labrador Retrievers are known for being a little mischievous but they are also known for forming strong bonds with family. Poodles are similar in this respect, especially the Standard Poodle, so you can expect your Labradoodle to be very family-oriented. These dogs need a lot of attention and daily interaction with their owners.
Now that you know a little more about the Labradoodle breed you should have a better idea whether or not it is the right choice for you and your family. Even if you aren’t there yet, the fun facts listed above are a great place to start when it comes to learning more about this wonderful breed.
Photo credit: Dave/Flickr