Bella is deemed chubby by her Vet - Labradoodle Forums

Labradoodle-Dogs.net is the premier Labradoodle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2008, 09:59 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Bella is deemed chubby by her Vet

Haha, Bella weighed in at 61 pounds, almost 10! pounds more than her last vist. She just turned 2. I am now feeding her 2 cups of Canidae a day, plus some high quality people food like chicken or steak: about 1-2 ounces a day. So to get her back to about 54 pounds will this work? I don't have any idea what the amount of Canidae she was eating prior to this because her Daddy would just fill her bowl whenever it was empty! "You can't let her starve you know!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2008, 10:09 AM   #2 (permalink)

Linda....Jonah wanted me to relay the fact that he likes his women Rubenesque.....

When I had my Cocker, he was getting to that "ottoman" look. My vet at the time had me cut his food with canned sodium free green beans. Worked like a charm.

One more thing from Jonah....he wants an updated picture also! Me too!!

"A dog teaches a boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down." - Robert Benchley
gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 10:10 AM   #3 (permalink)

haha...awh poor Bella We will have to get our doodles together for play time...Dex and Kirby are so lean since they have each other (Dex is down almost 10 lbs since we got Kirby)...

Oh - carrots are supposed to be good low calorie snacks...you could add some carrots (or other veggies) in (in place of some of the meat)
Old 04-10-2008, 10:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Linda....same thing happened last year with Peanut
What I did was put her on Canidae Senior/Overweight kibble
MIXED with All life stages kibble.
she slowly lost the weight and this mixture helps her maintain her weight.

losing a 1lb a week or less is healthy and normal and stays off better.

Good luck and peanut lost 10lbs last year and back to 55lbs

uncondtional love: what a dog always does for us and humans strive to do but can we?
MaxandMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 11:15 AM   #5 (permalink)

I often find that a new hairstyle helps to make you feel thinner while your working to get back in shape.

Foster's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 03:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

Cinnamon was gaining weight while she was on Canidae. We cut her down to just under 2 cups, like a cup and 3/4. I think Canidae just has a little more calories to it, so you have to cut back some.

Since she's been on Duck & potato, she's lost a couple of pounds. We've had to raise her intake, which she thanks us for! I imagine when she gets active this summer again, we'll have to up the ante!

http://safeharborprisondogs.com
Cinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 05:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for everyones input!

Cinsmom, how much does Cinnamon weigh?

Megan, 1 cup is like HALF the bowl! And yes, we are walking twice a day now! It's helping me get ready for Summer, too!

Foster's Mom, is that a recent trim? He is gorgeous long or short!

Thanks Annmarie, that' a good suggestion. I think I'll try cutting her back and see how she does. She is not a gobbler, definitely a grazer...I think her daddy is just spoiling her too much. I'm not sure she will even care that the food is less.

Thanks Gene and Leslie! Carrots and green beans, how healthy!!! The vet wants to be able to feel her ribs again, especially since she will probably need hip surgery down the road, she has to stay lean, not Rubenesque ! Photos will be coming from the romp this weekend, Gene (unless we get rained out...does that happen Leslie? Rain is forecast for the next three days....)
Old 04-10-2008, 06:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foster's Mom
I often find that a new hairstyle helps to make you feel thinner while your working to get back in shape.
LOL! This is SO true!

Deb
Old 04-10-2008, 06:10 PM   #9 (permalink)

Hmmm... I was deemed chubby by OZZIE's vet!

(Ozzie snickers)
Old 04-10-2008, 06:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

Wow this is funny. Dante went to the vet today for his checkup and weighs 36lbs at 16months. The vet said he is still a bit on the thin side but not dangerously thin. He eats about 2 cups of Canidae every 36hours. We let him munch whenever he wants and have even tried top dressing his food but he still always eats the same amount. He does not get regular daily walks unless you count the two short trips to the bus stop to pick up the kids. He does make it to the dog park several times a week in addtion to just going a lot of places - soccer practice, soccer games, etc.

The vet did say he had beautiful teeth. I'll give genetics, his food, and the dental dinosaurs the credit for that!

Heather
momoftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 07:07 PM   #11 (permalink)

Sadie is 6 months and 50 lbs.! I'm sure I'll be hearing it from the vet. She's *very* food motivated and never seems to be too full for food!

SadieFern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 07:31 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
unless we get rained out...does that happen Leslie? Rain is forecast for the next three days....)
yeah we won't have it if it rains. I am an optimist and have heard most of the rain will come Sat so let's hope it clears out by Sunday
Old 04-10-2008, 07:40 PM   #13 (permalink)

don't feel bad, someone at the dog park told me shaia looked "chunky." (thanks, lady! i think i'd rather hear it from the vet). i think it's her hair - she looks poofy. but she gets less than 2 cups a food a day and weighs in at 48 lbs at 7 months. she doesn't look fat when she's wet! yesterday, on her debut back to the park after being spayed, someone else told me she was "out of shape" since she would lie down to take a few breaks during play at the dog park. talk about sensitivity
Old 04-11-2008, 01:12 AM   #14 (permalink)

Toby is still packing it on..but, the vet said my little mini-pin was 1 lb
over weight.. not much but it make s up nearly 10% of his weight..

so now i ve got him on Diamond s Lite..my plan half and half with his current dog food for a week the 100% Diamond for a month then back to the half and half mix..hopefully that ll get his figure back.
deepnite10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 02:48 PM   #15 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Tink

Ya know what, I am often accused of overfeeding my dogs. They're not ottomans, as Gene describes them... but you do have to dig a bit to find any bony mass on them. lol

I keep food in the dog dishes 24/7 and let them free graze. I feel sad when I see a skinny dog... and Labs are not supposed to be skinny. I also think that since I breed mine they're better off with a bit of meat on them so when they're nursing a doodle dozen they have something to draw from.

Obviously obesity isn't healthy, yet I think with doodles you need to consider their lab ancestry and not expect them all to be slim like a poodle either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement