Containment systems - Fencing, Runs, Kennels and the like - Labradoodle Forums

Labradoodle-Dogs.net is the premier Labradoodle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2008, 12:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Containment systems - Fencing, Runs, Kennels and the like

I have owned dogs for a long time. Except for one puppy that I got when I was 15, the rest have been strays that needed a home. None of the adult dogs that I had ever had such a cushy lifestyle. But as I will detail there has been a progression to the cushy lifestyle that you all have come to accept as standard of care.

The puppy, Tippy being my first dog, was not allowed to stay in the house. He would come in for treats, but spent the majority of his life out in/near the barn on a tie out. This was the accepted standard. We took him for walks and had plenty of play time, but he spent most of his time on the tie out. As I had my horse in the barn, I spent alot of time out there with him. Tippy passed on young, he was about 7.

My dad's next dog, Missy, was adopted from the vet's office at 3yrs old. She was given the same lifestyle. My dad took her daily for walks on the beach, but she spent most of her time on the tie out. The tie out was about 20 feet long.

A few years later, we adopted another adult dog, Randy, that "visited" our house regularly. I discovered via the dog officer that this dog had been causing damage to others property, mine included. When I went to talk with the owner, he told me that he was moving and had no plans to take the dog. He was "just going to let him go". The dog was about 1 year old. So we added a second tie out in the same area but just long enough for each to reach the other.

Then, Missy died of a heart attack. I felt bad about leaving Randy outside all by himself and managed to convince my mom that he should be able to sleep in the house. I set him up with a bed in my room. This went over really well and while he still spent time out on his tie out he spent every dinner time through the next morning in the house. I would put him out when I got up to feed the horses.

Just before we moved to Carlisle, Randy passed away. We adopted from a friend a 4 year old Chow Lab cross, Lulu. We put her on a dog run about 40 feet long with a 20 foot tie. I thought this was awesome. So did she. She had lived the first 4 years of her life on a 10 foot tie out on the salt marshes in New Hampshire and everyday during high tide would have to "live" on top of her house to stay dry. I was not working outside the home at this time and thought that we could have her be a house dog. She had some real phobia's about being left inside alone, so we would bring her in when we were in and left her on the run at other times. When we moved into our small one bedroom unit, we started to leave her in by herself and she was ok with it. Lulu passed on last December.

So here we are with a new puppy on the way. We want this puppy to be more like your dogs. We want to be able to walk with our dog off leash and feel good that he/she will come when called. We want to take our dog with us to my in-laws for weekends. And we want our dog to be an integrated part of our lives. We don't want to have to keep him/her out on a run during the day while we work. Our dog will be a mini, around 15-20 pounds. We are fully prepared to learn about training our puppy to hopefully meet our expectations. I don't think we are asking for too much.

What methods of outside containment do you use and why did you choose it?
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2008, 12:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

I decided to fence my back yard and include a dog run for a possible future doggy door. Since I have 3 and the smallest is 56#, I thought have the whole yard to play in was the best for me....and them. When I'm gone, they are house dogs....they sleep with me. etc. That's how I am....they are members of my family, and I treat them as such.

"A dog teaches a boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down." - Robert Benchley
gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 01:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

HI...i have 6 acres none of which is fenced in yet so i am doing Whistle training for now and they walk/run off leash with me and my family
BUT
here's some links of previous discussions to this topic you might want to read on Invisible fencing vs regular fencing

http://labradoodle-dogs.net/forums/view ... le+fencing

http://labradoodle-dogs.net/forums/view ... ht=fencing

now You can also do more searches ....the search button towards the very top of this page
if you want to find even more.........though i am sure some members will post what they use.

uncondtional love: what a dog always does for us and humans strive to do but can we?
MaxandMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 01:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

Congrats on your new pupppy

I have always had a fenced in yard for my dogs, would not have it any other way, they need to be able to run around and have freedom of movement

Also my dogs have Always been house dogs, only going out to play or potty, they are family, sleep on the bed if they choose, wouldnt have that any other way either

Annabelle has a doggie door to the back yard and comes and goes as she pleases plus we go out and play with her and play fetch inside also

Good luck !
annabelles mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 01:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

Gene,
That's what we are going to have this time, house dog and companion, as you say, family member.

Do you doodles stay inside all day long? We both work and it seems so wrong when the weather is nice to have them cooped up in the house.

Ann Marie, I've tried to do a couple of searches and they haven't worked for me. Thanks for providing the links. I'll keep trying on the searches.

We have about 1 acre and I have some flower beds in the middle of that. So I was hoping to maybe fence in a small section and set it up so the dog can go out if he/she wants.

We may just have to wait and see how this works.
Old 03-02-2008, 01:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

Mary,
That's what I would love to accomplish. Do you ever worry about AB digging herself out of her fenced area?
Old 03-02-2008, 02:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

Hi Diane

Annabelle has never tried to dig out or jump the fence (5ft) - she digs holes all over the yard, one of her favorite pastimes, but never near the fence line.

When we leave to go out and she isnt going with us, she runs out her dog door, down stairs to back yard to the gate , gets a treat from me,eats it and promptly runs back upstairs into the hosue and goes to sleep -99% of the time when we come home she greets us 1/2 way down the stairs to the garage yawning.

The first few times we left her home with access the yard were short trips, 1/2hr to an hour and the neighors kept an eye on her, she never tried to get out, she wandered around yard for a few minutes then went back inside.
annabelles mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 02:22 PM   #8 (permalink)

My guys stay inside when I'm not home. I'm planning on installing a doggie door this spring and then giving them access to the dog run. When I had my fence put in, I had them make a dog run down the drive that's about 6 feet wide. I'll start them there and see how they do. I'm afraid to give them access to the whole yard because after I got Rumor, Jonah's relationship changed with the neighbors dog (from best fence buddies to growling), and their part of the fence is only 4 1/2' (wood) and I'm afraid Jonah will either jump it (his back legs go as high as the fence in a standing jump), or he'll catch his collar on it and hurt himself.

"A dog teaches a boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down." - Robert Benchley
gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 02:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

Many years ago I bought my first house north of NYC and had my first dog, a Siberian Husky. Because of historical easements and other historic clauses tied to my property I couldn't fully fence it, but this dog didn't wander. He could be trusted to stay on the property all day. But when I started adopting additional Huskies I built a large chainlink kennel/dogrun with a sloping roof. The other dogs had to be on a leash or harness. I moved to New Mexico after my last Husky had passed.

In New Mexico I had a 1 acre property surrounded by a 6 foot high fence of heavy duty horse fencing. It effectively kept in my adopted Australian Cattle Dog and Chow cross. The Cattle dog was rescued off an Indian reservation and the Chow cross was nearly feral so they preferred to stay oudoors.

Later, I moved into a more suburban area and I built a 40 foot long, 6 foot high dog run for my new Lab pup. He was happy to spend the day there while we were at work. It had plenty of protection from sun, wind and rain. In the winter he stayed indoors. He was the rare dog who was perfectly house trained and non-destructive. This beloved dog passed last Fall at 14.

Presently, I'm in a brand new subdivision where all the new homes are built with cinderblock walled backyards. The wall is barely 5 feet tall, the gate even lower. My Ozzie could easily clear this wall but doesn't know it yet. We're making arrangements to add a couple more courses of blocks to raise the height to the maximum allowable 6 feet. As far as walking without a leash... it's against the law, but rarely enforced.

So, bottom line is, if you have a large piece of property and are unrestricted by local covenants, I recommend building a dog run/kennel and keeping your dog(s) inside the house at night. I knew a distributor of invisible fences back east east and he told me that certain breeds simply are unimpressed by invisible fences. I have no experience with Labradoodles on this.
Old 03-02-2008, 02:50 PM   #10 (permalink)

http://labradoodle-dogs.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3619

The above idea might work for us.

ChasP505- That is more like what we will do. I would love to eventually be able to let him/her decide in or out, but to start I will want to be sure of where it is.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:03 PM   #11 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Diane...know what? i 'd stop searching as I too tried to do more with no success other than what i listed.

I am still debating what to do here with my yard as a doggy door is not good here due to wildlife on our rural property.AND invisible fencing with my set up is not easy and would have to encompass 2 acres.

I am trying to either build or install chain link fencing by the summer
that is 6ft high. as Max easily jumps 6ft and Beau is almost there too.

the only reason i want a fenced in part is so when i am busy they can play in it and/or when doing yard work during summer i know they're safe if i am not keeping a close eye on them.

uncondtional love: what a dog always does for us and humans strive to do but can we?
MaxandMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 03:07 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgeggis
http://labradoodle-dogs.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3619

The above idea might work for us.

ChasP505- That is more like what we will do. I would love to eventually be able to let him/her decide in or out, but to start I will want to be sure of where it is.
That run looks great but I always built mine 6 feet high and ALWAYS with an enclosed roof. At 5 months my old Lab easily cleared a 6 foot fence. As Gene suggested, I wouldn't want to risk a dog snaring his collar on the top of a fence. You can buy prefabricated chainlink fence sections from any fence company. A reasonably handy person with an able bodied helper can put a run together in one cool Springtime afternoon. If digging is a concern, you would want to start by digging an 18 inch deep trench and setting the base of the fencing well below ground level. Additionally I graded the ground like a roadway for water runoff. I had three layers... sand, gravel, paving stones.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:21 PM   #13 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to dreamer728

we're planning something like that too, since our yard will soon be horrible mud from about end of march through probably the end of July! that's a lot of mud to wipe up...
Advertisement