Lyme Prevention and Tick Checking/Removal - Labradoodle Forums

Labradoodle-Dogs.net is the premier Labradoodle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2012, 10:58 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Lyme Prevention and Tick Checking/Removal

Hello. Since spring is beginning I thought it would be good to get a thread going about tick/lyme prevention. I recently read to expect a vicious tick season after our mild winter. Up here in New England, lyme disease is a serious problem.

My puppy is only 6 months old. We use Frontline religiously and he has been vaccinated for Lyme. Does anyone have any additional tips/tricks they use? Natural/holistic remedies?

What is the best strategy for tick checking and removal on a doodle? Any special tools to use?

Any particular spots on the dog? I have read that you should always check between the paw pads. Any others?

I appreciate all the feedback!
Dara8182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2012, 11:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
Moe

My puppy is 6mo old and was vaccinated but got Lyme anyway. Here is a thread about it. I just found a tick on her 20 minutes ago and I just applied Advantix two days ago. It is a battle. The vet said to apply the Advantix ever 3 weeks for the spring. I've found ticks on every part of her body. The best way I've found to remove them is buy using a
tick key tick key
. They come off in tact every time, best 75 I've ever spent.

Someone just told me about the Abibio Tic-clip. Does anyone have any experience with it? It is expensive but if it works it would be worth it.

Moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hi Moe! I read the thread about your puppy. I'm so sorry! That's why I wanted to start swapping info about tick products and tick checking in general. I just bought a tick key, actually. I've never heard of this tick clip, but I will do some research. Thanks!
Dara8182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

Location: Connecticut - I like the snow and cold weather here.

I find that Ace tends to get them on his head and face - ugh. They are impossible to see with his tight curly thick hair - so I have to feel around for them. I make a point of doing this at night when he is tired.

Sometimes he gives me a clue by scratching or pawing at a spot - or licking if in paw area.

We put Frontline on him one week ago, and yet Tuesday night I found a tick on him! That dose was only on him for four days!!!
Ace's Place is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Moe

I did some research on the tick clips - apparently they don't work. There is no real science behind it. Too bad, it would have been great if it worked.
Old 04-01-2012, 01:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

We use Advantix on Daisy to prevent ticks, for whatever reason Frontline didn't work at all for us, you'd never even know she had it on her cuz she got so many ticks. With the Advantix it's just a tick here and there. And she gets them anywhere on her body, so with her curly and thick hair I just basically give her a full body massage each night to feel around for them. She also licks a lot where she has one so that's another clue. Yuck, I HATE them and I don't like to use the word hate. Oh, and we have just a tick remover tool from Petsmart, they look just like extra large tweezers but they work good.

@ Moe - where did you get that Tick Key? I've never seen that before and am thinking I need one.
Daisy'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 02:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

Wow. Yes thanks for starting this thread.
I just got Jack going on his Spring regime. We use Advantix but in the past we used Tick collars purchased from the vet. I am so worried about ticks. They are plentiful here and Lyme disease is always in the news. I think the vaccine is a good bet, so that at least if our doodles get Lyme disease the will survive. My next door neighbour went out to the lake with her Yorkie for an afternoon and the poor little guy got Lyme disease. He was on treatments for months! What about using Advantix and a tick collar? I worry about overdosing Jack with chemicals though. Ahhh. I trust my vet and when they present the options, I just say 'you guys are the experts, give me what works.' and I get Advantix and Interceptor. Using Advantix every 3 weeks is a safe bet too. Last week, the vet's office told me that people have been treating their animals all winter because the fleas and ticks didn't die off. oh goody...
Old 04-01-2012, 06:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Moe

I got it at a local pet boutique. You can get them on amazon for 75.
HERE HERE
is a link.

I asked my vet about using a tick collar with the Advantix, he said it would not be healthy. Things have been better since I've been applying it every 3 weeks.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:07 PM   #9 (permalink)

Oh. Glad you asked the vet about the collar and the Advantix Moe. Hmmm...well every 3 weeks it is then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement