Help..What dog food should I get? - Labradoodle Forums

Labradoodle-Dogs.net is the premier Labradoodle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2012, 04:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question Help..What dog food should I get?

We are getting our first labradoodle puppy in 2 weeks and we can't wait. I have been doing a lot of research of dog foods and am very impressed with orijen. I also have a 14 year old dachshund and would love to feed them the same food to avoid storing 2 different types. I was wondering how others felt about large breed puppy vs an all life stages high quality food. The analysis between both with orijens seems almost identical. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

PS..I am glad to be part of this forum. It seems you all love your dogs very much and I can not wait to show pics of my sweet boy!
CosmoCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2012, 07:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Moe

I feed my 6mo old doodle Orijen puppy food. My vet says it is hands down the best dry dog food available. He said it is fine to feed puppies the puppy formula or all life stage. They are very similar. I belong to another forum that has a dog food group and they recommend Orijen first then Taste of the Wild second. The only problem is that they do not carry it in some of the big box pet food stores. You may have to look for a store that carries it.

Congrats on getting your new puppy!
Moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the feedback. Fortunately, we can get orijen locally. Now I feel confident it is worth the extra money for orijen. What is the other forum. I would like to check it out.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

We used to feed our doodle Acana and Orijen but he didn't do too well on it. We eneded up switching to Taste of the Wild and (*knock on wood*) so far so good!

My only suggestion to you is be aware of how your dog is on the food. Just because one food is rated as the best does not mean it's the best for your dog!
Old 03-05-2012, 04:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

We use TLC dog food, it's a "Whole Life" so the same food for pup's as adults.

Mixed reaction from posters, but my vet said it was all good based on the ingredients. (a no wheat, rice based food with Chicken, Lamb and Salmon and a bunch of herbs)

Not sure if you can get in the USA yet though
Old 03-05-2012, 04:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

I feed Buffalo Blue Wilderness, grain free. Any grain free/holistic is always an excellent choice. You can check dog food ratings as well online. Orijen and Taste of the Wild also score very high!
Brigadigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Moe

You can check them out on this Dog Food Analysis website. More info than you'd ever need to know about dog food. If you click on the specific food and scroll down it gives a detailed analysis. It is interesting that some brands vary in quality depending on the variety you choose.
Moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

Blue Buffalo or Innova, right now I am mixing the 2 the LArge breed puppy kibbles, and Regular Puppy Innova, bruno gain and packed now, he is more regular with his poops, too.. so its either of the two. I heard ORIJEN are good too, but I will stick right now on what we have and its easier, no transitions.. thanks. hope it gives you to think about.
brunodoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:57 PM   #9 (permalink)

Smile

Thanks for all the info. I think we will start with the adult orijen and see how he does. We have been giving it to my dachshund and he loves it ( doesn't even want to touch his old stuff). I was reading it is good to switch foods every 3-4 months. Does anyone do that?

PS..Nikkiey, I viewed Juneau's pics and he is adorable. I think my Cosmo may look similar. We will find out soon. We get him next Friday!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement