When did you let your Doodle do stairs? - Labradoodle Forums

Labradoodle-Dogs.net is the premier Labradoodle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2012, 08:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default When did you let your Doodle do stairs?

We have heard that we shouldn't let our pup do stairs until her legs are fully formed. Our trainer and vet have mentioned that if she does stairs too early, her joints won't form normally and she may have joint/hip problems when she is older. They are recommending another month or so...She is almost four months old and some of the sites on the internet say one full year....this seems so long. We want to do what's right for her but we have had her closed off to the upstairs for quite some time. She doesn't even know our bedroom yet...we don't want to have to carry an eventual 40-50 pound dog upstairs...if we don't have to. At what age did you let your Labradoodle do a full set of stairs?
Hays is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2012, 09:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

I honestly don't remember exactly at what age we let Daisy do stairs, I wish I could remember. I do recall that we gated the stairs off and we laughed because for a very long time Daisy never even knew or was aware of what our upstairs looked like! LOL! But I do know we did not wait a whole year. We have a somewhat steep staircase with a curve in it so we waited until we felt she could handle them safely. Once we knew she was safe and secure on her own we let her do the stairs. I think I would just trust your gut on this one but what do I know?!?!
Daisy'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:56 AM   #3 (permalink)

We also had a gate at the bottom of our stairs to prevent him from going up and down them. We ended up taking the gate down around the 5.5 month mark after he was fully healed from his neuturing. We never let him play on the stairs so he never really went up and down them that often.

Now you'd think it was a carnival ride the way he grabs a toy, runs to the top of the stairs as fast as he can, waits till we peak our heads around the corner to tell him to come back down and then runs full tilt down them. Crazy man.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to jesstat

I had never heard that and had Diego doing stairs as soon as he came home around 10 weeks. We have a single-level house but he has been doing the stairs of our deck (all 14 of them) since day 1. Growing up, my parents lab was the same way. He's 13 now and actually has no signs of joint problems despite his age (besides the general stiffness of being being 13 years old!).

I guess it's personal preference?
jesstat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

We let Cali go up the stairs from about 4 months, but carried her down until she was about 6 months (and about 25 lbs)

Vet told us the stairs can affect the growth plates, some breeders say no stairs for a year.

However, my stairs are carpeted with underpad so lots of cushion, I've heard of dogs slipping on tile or hardwood stairs and injuring their legs/knees/hips.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

Yeah Malcolm was using the stairs as soon as I got him home. I never heard of not letting them do stairs.
jodysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks everyone! We are thinking of starting to let her try the stairs, at least going up them (and they are carpeted as well), after she is neutered...than we will go from there!
Old 02-02-2012, 09:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Moe

Mine did them when she was ready. When we first got her she wouldn't even go down the one step to our sunken family room. She would stand there and bark until we came over. Same with a whole flight of stairs. One day I turned around and she was behind me on the second level. She was probably 14 weeks. I don't think they will attempt things they are not ready for.
Moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:48 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I would most definitely listen to the vet on this. But, I have never heard anything about stairs and the age of the dog.
We only have stairs to the basement and Bogart rarely, if ever, uses them.
I have always heard they should wait for long walks/runs, especially on hard sidewalks. This is where injuries can sneak up on their young bodies.
lindamarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:04 PM   #10 (permalink)

I never heard of the need to keep puppies off the stairs to prevent joint problems. Clementine has had access to stairs from the day she came home at 9 weeks. It took her a couple of weeks to figure out how to use them.
mdrichey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:03 PM   #11 (permalink)

so in case anyone checks this out, I thought I'd inform everyone we took hayley to the vet this morning and our vet told us that 4-6 month mark is a good timeframe for labradoodles to start doing steps! We are going to start her on it when we get back from vacation and she is allowed to go up them slowly by leash. When we bring her down, I will likely carry her until she gets full grown!
Old 02-10-2012, 03:06 AM   #12 (permalink)

I hadn't heard of this before. Gordon (5.5mos) "flies" off the deck stairs when we go into the backyard.
GordonDoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:48 PM   #13 (permalink)

As an apartment dweller we do not have steps but at my parents house there are many stairs. We kept the pups off the stairs until six months and even then we worked on training them to take them slow and not fly up or down the stairs. If they weren't trained to take them slow I would be nervous they would move down them so fast they would fall and hurt themselves
Lucy&Lennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:27 AM   #14 (permalink)

i had never really heard much about stairs and dogs till Toby came home..we had never had a puppy..only fully grown recues..

but, with Toby i did some reading and the info. i got was that they should nt be allow d to run up and down stairs for the first 6 mos..

but, with 2 other dogs in the house, he just follow after them at 14wks..he d struggle up the stairs and on a few occasions he d slide on his belly on the way down..seeing this i began carrying him up and down the stairs when i could..but, eventually as he go bigger i just let him go on his own..
deepnite10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:24 PM   #15 (permalink)

Thank you everyone! Hayley has found the stairs and carefully goes up and down! When she gets too aggressive and wants to follow the cats, we put the gate back up!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement