Am I insane for getting a puppy now? - Labradoodle Forums

Labradoodle-Dogs.net is the premier Labradoodle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2011, 03:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Am I insane for getting a puppy now?

We've wanted to get a dog for a long time, but we were waiting until our last child was out of diapers. So now we're there, but should we wait until Spring? I've never had a puppy before, so I don't truly know what I'm getting myself into. I homeschool my kids (at least the 3 oldest), so I have those responsibilities too. Fortunately we're not running out and about a lot. So, what do you think? Am I crazy? Should I wait until spring? Or should I go for it now?
-Lucy
BlueEyedBabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2011, 04:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Hi Lucy!

The best news is that you will be home since you homeschool. Yes, your responsibilities will be doubled. I don't know your degree of tolerance or what you consider to be too much for you. Only you can answer that.

My situation was kinda the same as far as responsibilities, obligations and an overload. I no sooner got Bogart and my dad went into the hospital.
He was fairly critical and I had to be there everyday. That left training in my husbands hands......and....I'm sorry to say, he wasn't ready to do this alone.
As a result, housebreaking took a tad longer. Whenever i got a new pup, I had them housebroke in a week. They rarely, if ever had an accident because HAWKEYE.....me......was always on them. I'd see them squat and pick them up right in the middle and out the door they went.
My husband would get too involved in some TV program and see the puddle after the fact. Sticking their nose in it means absolutely nothing to a pup and is not recommended.
Catching them in the act is the only way. And, I do mean before hardly a drop comes out of them.

Next, you'll be doing this, like we did, in the Fall and Winter, depending on where you live.
It's sloppy, muddy, raining or snowy which makes things a bit more difficult.

It's all in what you believe you can handle.
I couldn't wait until spring to get Bogart. Our other dog had just been put down from Lymphoma and I HAD to have a dog NOW! I'm happy I went through it.

No such thing as crazy......if your desire is as great as mine was, then do it.
If you can wait, wait. Spring, summer may be easier. But that's up to you.
lindamarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hi! All I can tell you is that puppies are a LOT LOT LOT of work. They need a lot of attention - training, play time, cuddles, etc.

idog.biz has a New Puppy Support section that is really great and informative

You're the only one who can say for sure if you're ready for a puppy...just please know how much time a puppy will take up and you really have to keep an eye on them and be aware of what they're doing and where they are (which could be easy with the use of a play pen or confining the pup to a small area).

All the hard work is TOTALLY worth it, though.
jodysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

Not sure where you are and how bad your winters are but I am so glad we got our puppy in June. When they're little you have to go outside with them (about 10 times per day) and it was so nice that it was light at 6 a.m. until 9:00p.m. If you're not sure about getting one now DON'T look at any breeder websites- you'll immediately see one you want and that'll be all she wrote!! Plus, I think breeders have more litters in the Spring. Just my 2 cents
Julie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Mel

we got Spike in March and it was wet being spring....it wasn't easy to say the least but i think every season will have it's challenges, it will also depend on where you are.

I have only 2 young children (7 and 3 yrs) and having a puppy is like a toddler all over again but without the diaper and with very sharp teeth. They are HARD work, i was exhausted for weeks trying to take care of my kids and a puppy.....i was often in tears and regretted getting him. I felt constantly guilty about not spending enough time with my two children...the youngest is too young to help and the oldest was too timid at first so it was all on me.

Now, i love him and is part of the family...i still have rough days and miss my old life which in retrospect was easy but Spike is a great dog
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

Brenna is 19 weeks old and needs constant watching. It's amazing how quickly a pup can find something to chew on, even though you think you puppy proofed a house. Paper towels are a favorite. Even though I constantly watched her, puddles would appear out of no where, but that problem is solved. She is the sloppiest water drinker I have ever owned, I now keep it on the patio. I was afraid I would slip and fall.
But she makes me laugh every day and keeps my 11 year old rescue dog palying every day.
I think it would be hard to have a new puppy in the winter, no problem for me, I live in Florida.
Brenna's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 02:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

Location: Connecticut - I like the snow and cold weather here.

I personally would not suggest getting a puppy that would come to your home in Jan - March. Depends on where you live but Ace came home on Jan 21. Three days later we had four feet of snow. Not only did it require being outside every two hours, it included piles of wet coats/hats/gloves, mud to clean, lots of shoveling of a path for the pup (almost constant), really watching the temperature (I mean you can't just bring a 2 month old pup out in 3 degree weather without worry, etc. Just giving you an idea - but I do clearly remember many a night standing in the snowy path at 3 AM, freezing cold, crystal clear night sky, a big full moon, quiet, snowflakes and the cutest darn doodle at my feet wagging his tail. I'm nuts - I actually liked those moments as it was the only time our condo complex was actually STILL - lol - but someone else might not have been able to see the beauty in the moment!
Ace's Place is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 11:35 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace's Place View Post
I personally would not suggest getting a puppy that would come to your home in Jan - March. Depends on where you live but Ace came home on Jan 21. Three days later we had four feet of snow. Not only did it require being outside every two hours, it included piles of wet coats/hats/gloves, mud to clean, lots of shoveling of a path for the pup (almost constant), really watching the temperature (I mean you can't just bring a 2 month old pup out in 3 degree weather without worry, etc. Just giving you an idea - but I do clearly remember many a night standing in the snowy path at 3 AM, freezing cold, crystal clear night sky, a big full moon, quiet, snowflakes and the cutest darn doodle at my feet wagging his tail. I'm nuts - I actually liked those moments as it was the only time our condo complex was actually STILL - lol - but someone else might not have been able to see the beauty in the moment!
I can totally identify with this! TOTALLY!

And like Mel, although I didn't have little ones, I had a lot of other responsibilities that when you put them all together, i had those days and nights of total exhaustion.

My husband and I have actually talked about how, if or when we get another doodle, it will be in late Spring.
lindamarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement