Labradoodle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Our poor puppy has been through so much..

6K views 24 replies 6 participants last post by  lindamarie 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
We love our 6 month old Labradoodle that we purchased from (breeder name deleted) in New Jersey. He is so smart and handsome. The only problem is that our puppy is less than 6 months old and we already spent over 12,000.00 in medical bills. Our poor puppy has been through so much.

#3 ·
Well I'm not a vet but I have all the bills from Cornell Animal Hospital. First he had HOD and then at another time unrelated to the first incident he had to have his apendix (called something else in a dog) removed and part of his intestine. This dog has really been through allot. Hopefully he is all good now. The breeder we got him from seemed so nice and reputable but the moment I said I think we should at least get the money back that we paid for our puppy she just said sorry I don't guaranty my puppys. I still can't believe it. My wife and I have never been through anything like this before but your fall in love with the puppy and he gets sick so what choice do you have but to try and save him.

#4 ·
Made me look!
Hypertrophic Osteodystrophy (HOD) - VetInfo
Never heard of this before, but apparently can be caused by vaccinations or even too much calcium in the dogs diet.

I am a believer in minimal vaccines.... and Rabies should be given at 5-6 months old, and never at the same time with another vaccine!
Are We Overvaccinating Our Pets? - ABC News
The Rabies Vaccine for Dogs: Side Effects and Precautions You Can Take
DEATH BY VACCINOSIS: HEARTBREAKING VET RECORDS

What exactly was the removal of part of his intestines about?

You aren't kidding....poor guy's been through the ringer already in his short life! :(

#7 ·
The intestines were removed due to a blockage in his system. They found that part of the intestines were necrotic (not sure about the spelling) As I'm writing this I still can't believe this breeder didn't do the right thing and stand behind what she sold us. We thought we were going to have a heathly dog.

#5 · (Edited)
Read the warranty fine print

I'm sorry to hear about your little ones ill health. Seems strange the breeder will not reimburse your funds at all? Did they offer any warranty?

This is a chance breeders take when offering a warranty , but if you are reputable then one would think you would stand behind it always.
We stand on ours always..if it is a "life altering" disease we would reimburse you..as we have in the past for example with a condition called "entropion" which was diagnosed on one of our male pups a year ago..we assisted with paying for the surgery..

It is a chance one takes when searching for a new puppy. To all looking please read the fine print on the warranties you are signing...
To some breeders this may not necessarily be a disease covered, but at least meet the customer half way.

www.rilabradoodles.com

#6 ·
I'm sorry to hear about your little ones ill health. Seems strange the breeder will not reimburse your funds at all? Did they offer any warranty?

This is a chance breeders take when offering a warranty , but if you are reputable then one would think you would stand behind it always.
We stand on ours always..if it is a "life altering" disease we would reimburse you..as we have in the past for example with a condition called "entropion" which was diagnosed on one of our male pups a year ago..we assisted with paying for the surgery..

It is a chance one takes when searching for a new puppy. To all looking please read the fine print on the warranties you are signing...
To some breeders this may not necessarily be a disease covered, but at least meet the customer half way.

www.rilabradoodles.com
That's good advise to find out what the warranty is and get it in writing. We fed the dog the same food the breeder was using and recommended to us and it is a possibilty it may have triggered this hod which is very rare. Either way i agree with you that the breeder should have done something and that's why I am being forced to take it legal.

#8 ·
So am I understanding this right......you are stating that you continued using the same puppy food that the breeder had the puppy started on and that this is what caused the HOD? If so, what was the puppy food and were there any of the other puppies from his litter (and past litter have that also been given this same food) that were also affected or had similar symptoms as your Leo?

The intestines were removed due to a blockage in his system. They found that part of the intestines were necrotic (not sure about the spelling) As I'm writing this I still can't believe this breeder didn't do the right thing and stand behind what she sold us. We thought we were going to have a heathly dog.
So are you also stating that the breeder is responsible for the blockage in your 6 month old labradoodle? I agree that breeders have a responsibility to produce quality puppies and to stand behind what they produce, but on the other hand we as pet owners who choose to take an animal into our lives and homes also take on a responsibility to care for the animal to the best of our ability. I just don't see where the breeder should be held liable for the obstruction in the intestine as there is no way that the obstruction has been lodged in the intestine since the puppy resided with the breeder. Also, breeders guarantee puppies for genetic issues and not mishaps that can happen. Everything that I have read on HOD has not stated that it is a genetic issue. Ultimately, I guess the question is what exactly is the breeder responsible for in this case and what is the pet owner responsible for ? Did you ask the breeder exactly what they would guarantee for or that they would guarantee against these exact problems that you have had with your doodle?

In my opinion this thread has not proven a bad breeder but a breeder that is being shed in a bad light. Not enough information and unfortunately people who will read this thread will automaticallly assume the worse. There are enough bad breeders out there so lets just be sure that yours is a bad breeder before you destory their reputation online.

#9 ·
Well I can just go by what we were told by Cornell Animal Hospital. The blockage was from the intestine itself not from anything he ate. He was born like that. Regarding the breeder, they absolutely should take responsibility for the puppy's they are selling with a situation like this. Unfortunatly this breeder only wants to take in the money and feels they don't have any responsibility as a business owner. Our attorney feels very confident we will come out ok financially and he will be contacting the state and IRS as well. Apparently this business owner is not filed to sell puppies, board or groom dogs out of there private home. I wish I researched more prior but at least we will have the satisfaction knowing that other people won't have to deal with this breeder. I still find it hard to believe that after I spend over 12000.00 in medical bills and showed that to the breeder they even refused to return the price I paid for the puppy which was small in comparison. Some people just don't care...it's terrible.

So am I understanding this right......you are stating that you continued using the same puppy food that the breeder had the puppy started on and that this is what caused the HOD? If so, what was the puppy food and were there any of the other puppies from his litter (and past litter have that also been given this same food) that were also affected or had similar symptoms as your Leo?

So are you also stating that the breeder is responsible for the blockage in your 6 month old labradoodle? I agree that breeders have a responsibility to produce quality puppies and to stand behind what they produce, but on the other hand
we as pet owners who choose to take an animal into our lives and homes also take on a responsibility to care for the animal to the best of our ability. I just don't see where the breeder should be held liable for the obstruction in the intestine as there is no way that the obstruction has been lodged in the intestine since the puppy resided with the breeder. Also, breeders guarantee puppies for genetic issues and not mishaps that can happen. Everything that I have read on HOD has not stated that it is a genetic issue. Ultimately, I guess the question is what exactly is the breeder responsible for in this case and what is the pet owner responsible for ? Did you ask the breeder exactly what they would guarantee for or that they would guarantee against these exact problems that you have had with your doodle?

In my opinion this thread has not proven a bad breeder but a breeder that is being shed in a bad light. Not enough information and unfortunately people who will read this thread will automaticallly assume the worse. There are enough bad breeders out there so lets just be sure that yours is a bad breeder before you destory their reputation online.

#10 ·
The correct term for what you are discribing is Intussesception of the Intestine and you are incorrect in stating that the puppy was born that way because if that was the case he would not have surived til the age of 6 months old.

Which animals are more prone to intussusceptions?
Puppies and kittens are the most likely ones to develop intussusception although it can occur in any age or species. There does not appear to be a specific breed predilection.

What causes intussusceptions?
There are several conditions that predispose a dog to developing an intussusception. Many of these conditions affect the motility of the intestine. Intussusception is seen more commonly in puppies carrying large numbers of intestinal parasites such as roundworms, hookworms, or whipworms. Viral (e.g., parvovirus in puppies) or bacterial gastroenteritis is another common cause. Pieces of plastic, bone or wood in the intestine of a dog can lead to the development of intussusception. Tumors or recent abdominal surgery may also contribute to the development of this condition. Below is the link to the above quoted......
Intussusception of the Intestines in Dogs

By the way, as for the HOD you stated that it was caused by the dog food that the breeder originally fed so are you also planning on sueing the dog food company as well?

Just my opinion but maybe you should focus on the legalities of the case and refrain from trying it in the public forum. As for the doodle, my heart goes out to him and all he has been through! Poor Leo!!!

#12 · (Edited)
I didn't sign on here to argue with anyone and I won't pretend to be a vet. I can only go with what I know has happened to us and our Leo. I can only hope others will do there research and stay away from breeders that do not stand behind there puppies. I think most breeders out there understand and take responsibility for selling healthy pets. It was only about a month after we took him home that we had to spend thousands at the animal hospital. In my opinion This breeder really took advantage of us. Now I see why they would only take cash and no receipts were given. They must have been through situations before.

#11 ·
in my opinion this thread has not proven a bad breeder but a breeder that is being shed in a bad light. Not enough information and unfortunately people who will read this thread will automaticallly assume the worse. There are enough bad breeders out there so lets just be sure that yours is a bad breeder before you destory their reputation online.
correct!

#13 ·
I am sorry if you find that my posts were argumentative. They were not intended to be. I was asking for information and as you have the medical records of your dog and were willing to post negative comments about the breeder I was only looking for clarifying information so that I would be able to read this thread with open eyes.

There is so much misinformation in the internet and sometimes people are quick to post negative comments that can hurt someone else unnecessarily that I find it disturbing to say the least especially since people who read threads like these tend to immediately assume the worst even though there has not been enough detailed information to form an opinion at all much less a negative one. This is why I stated earlier
maybe you should focus on the legalities of the case and refrain from trying it in the public forum
Again, my heart goes out to Leo and I will be praying that his condition improves!!!

#14 ·
I am sorry if you find that my posts were argumentative. They were not intended to be. I was asking for information and as you have the medical records of your dog and were willing to post negative comments about the breeder I was only looking for clarifying information so that I would be able to read this thread with open eyes.

There is so much misinformation in the internet and sometimes people are quick to post negative comments that can hurt someone else unnecessarily that I find it disturbing to say the least especially since people who read threads like these tend to immediately assume the worst even though there has not been enough detailed information to form an opinion at all much less a negative one. This is why I stated earlier

Again, my heart goes out to Leo and I will be praying that his condition improves!!!
Thank you for praying for Leo. His recovery is going well.
Regarding the breeder, mostly everyone would agree that it's the reputable breeders the will guaranty the health of the puppy they are selling. I'll just continue to post all the facts for anyone interested in hearing about Leo's story.

#17 ·
So sorry you had to learn that way....
A reputable breeder tests extensively before breeding a dog, lots of $ invested BEFORE breeding and knowledge of the lines behind it.

I offer a 2 year contract & fortunately all my pups have grown into healthy adults..
I test extensively and know my lines, but am also aware that every time I ad another person's line in with mine, I risk the genes lining up and producing a dog with a genetic condition..

I think if testing was imposed on Humans, most of us would not be allowed to have children! LOL

#21 ·
If the breeder is not mentioned on here than how would you even know we are talking about the same breeder?
I just had to jump in here because you yourself mentioned the breeder by name multiple times in your posts. I am sure I was NOT the only one who read the name multiple times before the moderator edited it out of your posts. This is a prime example as to why I question the validity of all of your statements on here. If you said something whether it was edited out but the moderator or not please own up to it and don't try to make someone else's post look negative when they obviously read exactly what I was able to read prior to editing. Again, I am stressing caution in posting due to unnecessary damage.

#22 · (Edited by Moderator)
I'm not going back and forth with you over the breeders name. The facts are what they are. We purchased our puppy from this back yard breeder in xxxxxx, NJ that appears to be legitimate. After my puppy started to have problems and we spent over 12,000.00 beginning only 1 month after we took him home the breeder told me that they don't guaranty there puppies. I have done research and found that most of the reputable breeders offer a guaranty of health. It is that information that I wish to get out there. I see many people on this site are warning others about back yard breeders and now I completely understand that. This breeder happens to be very nice until a problem arises and then she is only concerned about herself and forgets she has a business responsibly. I hope others will pay attention to the breeders advertising on here and ask all the right questions so they don't go through what we have been through so far.

#23 ·
I too, do NOT want to go back and forth, but I do not like the fact that it seems that you are speaking out of both sides of your mouth. Exactly, WHAT genetic condition that your doodle has that the breeder has refused to guarantee? This question was asked at the beginning of the thread and has yet to be answered. Breeders' guarantees have been placed into affect to help in quality control and that a breeder is stating that they are doing their best to provide a quality puppy to the best of their ability, but they cannot nor should they guarantee against something that they can not forsee and guard against. Don't get me wrong, I feel that it is unfortunate that your doodle has had to go through what he has, but I have yet to see where it was the breeder's fault! Come on....quit trying to destroy someone's reputation when all of the facts have yet to be "put on the table" I was only asking you to stand behind what you previously stated. You have also continued to provide enough other information for people to be able to find this breeder. I just feel that this whole situation is unfortunate both for the doodle and the breeder.

#24 · (Edited by Moderator)
I'm not looking to destroy anyone's reputation here. This forum is a place where we can all share information with each other. Again the facts are that my puppy has had 2 life threatening conditions. Both happened prior to the age of 6 months and the first one was only about a month after we took our puppy home. We brought our puppy to xxxxxxxxwhich is considered one of the best and in my opinion they saved his life both times. I have done my research and contacted many other reputable breeders out there and they all told me that they stand behind there pets they sell and would at the very least guaranty the price they charged for the pet and some would do more! You should do your homework and call around also. When I called the back yard breeder out of xxxxxxxx NJ where we got him from the owner told me they don't guaranty there puppies, she had an attitude with me and she said her dogs had diarrhea in the past and she didn't go running to the hospital. I couldn't believe the conversation. It's for that reason that I will do my best to educate people not to make the same mistake I did and ask the right questions and get something in writing first. This breeder required a cash payment which should have been the first sign of trouble! :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.